The Mapathon will be held under the theme, “It’s our Journey...let’s map it together”, and will demonstrate how technical innovators and entrepreneurs can use mapping data for national development.
Activities will include:
- Presentations by experts and exhibitions related to mapping.
- Mapping activities by teams and individuals
- Prizes for notable mappers and mapping projects
Simply map your community or your favorite places!Be sure to put your Changeset: #mapsaintlucia
…Or here are some ideas for mapping projects:
- Saint Lucian Journey of life: Under this mapping project, institutions that St. Lucians will need from on the journey throughout life will be mapped out. From the hospitals and health centers at pregnancy and birth; the Civil Status registry and registrars; the schools for childhood years and the various public agencies they may need to encounter throughout life’s journey
- Saint Lucian Cultural Journey: Under this mapping project, mappers plot locations of cultural and historical significance. Changeset:
- Saint Lucian Journey through Nature: under this project, mappers plot areas with notable natural features such as rainforest trails, waterfalls, beaches; and of course the pitons!
How do I sign up?
Registration opens from Tuesday 19th January 2016 and closes at noon on Sunday 28th February 2016. Registrations must be completed online.
If you do not already have an OpenStreetMap ID you must sign up for one before completing your registration. Following registration you can immediately begin your mapping project on OpenStreetMap until 3:00pm on "MapSaintLucia" day (February 28th). Remember to use the hashtag #MapSaintLucia in ALL your changeset comments. Your project will be judged along with other participants. Winners will be announced and prizes awarded during a ceremony held at the end of the day's activities.
The inaugural event forms part of Saint Lucia’s 37th Independence Anniversary celebrations which are officially commemorated on February 22nd, but include a calendar of activities in the weeks prior and following this date.